1998 75HP Force 2 stroke - steering question - safe to boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_school

Reaction score
1st off, great forum, just posted results from my transom repair with pictures

After using the boat (1992 Sea Nymph) after the transom repair and while flushing the OB (we only boat in salt water) - I notice a keeper ring/retainer ring has fallen down from the bottom of the steering tube/shaft

Some boats have a spring retainer but this one has a big old brass (or equivalent) ring that fits into a groove on the bottom of the steering tube/shaft

Close inspection showed that the bottom of the steering tube is rusting away and that is why the retainer fell off (not much of a groove left)

QUESTION - my buddy and I have examined the motor and the way we figure it (yes, that is how most trouble starts) as long as the OB is always straight down and not pushing the boat while it is tilted slightly we think it is safe to use (IS IT?) - we just can't see how the steering shaft can ride up - we can't believe that just that little retainer keeps the whole shaft in place

I know the best solution is to fix it but after a costly transom repair I would like to be able to use it for a while and save up a bit of cash (but NOT at the expense of putting friends and others at risk)

See pics - appreciate your input

Attachments

• boat ring 1.jpg
    boat ring 1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 663
  • boat ring 2.jpg
    boat ring 2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 663
Sorry, but I have no idea what those pix represent. Perhaps take one shot from a bit further back?

Having once lost my steering completely ....when the cable broke...while I was traversing a barge canal....WITH a barge bearing down on us...I can say that I'm not taking any boat out that has a steering problem of any kind.

Thank God for a trolling motor that got us out of the way.

Rich

just wanted to post an update on what I have found out - the small shaft in the picture is the shifter shaft and it runs straight up inside the hollow main pin/shaft to the power head/motor

still not sure how NOT having the retainer ring will affect safety

a mechanic friend (non-boat mechanic) suggested I drill a hole across what is left of the bottom of the shaft and insert a cotter pin - he thinks it will accomplish the same result as the retainer ring

I will do that and post results in case someone else has this problem down the road (up the river? - lol)

Shift control rusting out is not as problematical as the steering cable. Good news for you.

Is there enough room to drill; insert the cotter pin; and then still add back the ring?

Rich

Frank has the same outboard as we do and he knows a lot about his motor - here is his recommendation - we will continue boating and greasing the outboard after every use ...

Now I need to get dressed and check my 75. The kingpin (steering tube) is usually clamped to the lower motor mount. See first photo, piece with two bolts, right above speedometer tube.

As such, the kingpin is solidly attached to the engine lower pan and motor mounts. SO, it turns with the engine leg while the yoke and mounting clamps stay stationary.

I don't think there is any danger at all of losing the kingpin or it riding--either up or down. I don't think you need to drill and insert a cotterpin unless it makes you feel better. Replacing it by removing the powerhead is going to be costly in labor and possibly wasted money.

HOWEVER: with that much corrosion, there is a excellent chance that the yoke is corroding inside too. Eventually, you may find steering getting tight and that is when replacing the kingpin becomes a miserable job.

If at the current time you are not having any steering problems, keep the yoke well greased--do it three or more times a season and it would not hurt to do it every week. Hopefully this will forestall any problems later on.

Thank you for everyone's replies and HAPPY BOATING!