Motor troubles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshootertexan

Reaction score
OK I was checking out the motor before we going fishing on Good Friday and I can't get it to stay running. First off new fuel tank and line so that should not be a problem. What I'm able to do is crank it and keep it running by constantly pushing the starter switch in and out. I see that pushing the starter switch in activates a solenoid that has a fuel line to it. I also took the screw out of the bottom of the carb in what I believe is the bowl drain plug and no fuel comes out.

1991 Johnson 25

Any help will be appreciated.

Ricky

On the 1991 engines there is a primer solenoid. When the key switch is pushed in the solenoid is activated and pressurized fuel from either the primer bulb or the fuel pump is allowed to flow through the pump and to the back side of the carburetor and into the intake manifold. Your engine will only stay running when the primer is activated. The carburetor on your engine is apparently plugged with old fuel/varnish and must be removed, cleaned and a new carb kit installed. Your needle & seat in the carburetor is stuck shut hence no fuel in the bowl to drain out when you removed the drain screw. If you are not mechanically inclined it would be best for a shop to do the work. There are small passages that go from the bottom of the fuel bowl up to the top of the carb and supply fuel for the idle circuit to function. Those are plugged and care must be taken with the cleaning process. Not expensive if you just hand a shop the carburetor. Am guessing it has been a while since the engine has run from your comments and the fact that you already have replaced the tank and line. In the future it would be best to try and source non-ethanol fuel to run the engine on if possible, not mandatory but the flexible parts in the fuel system will last a whole lot longer. If you do not know the service history on the engine then consider a water pump or an impeller at the very least as well as new gearcase oil.

The motor was running in September when I pulled it off to mod the boat. I noticed the gas tank had holes in it when it was in the storage building so I picked up a new one with hose. I thinking it's a clogged carb to. Just wanted to get a second opinion before spending the cash on something I don't need. I can handle the job just didn't want to hear I can't go fishing next weekend because of it. I'll see if I can pick up a kit tomorrow.

Ok I learned a lot about my motor in the last 2 days. I went after work today and picked up a carb kit. The man (Tony) at the repair shop was really helpful. He told me all the things that it might be. He said the Attwood fuel line bulbs were junk. That would be the least expensive thing wrong with it. So I picked up a Johnson bulb to replace the Attwood if it fails. He showed me how to check the fuel pump to see if it was bad.

I got home and pulled the carb off. I took the bowl screws out and carefully opened it without breaking the seal. I found that the float was stuck. So I sprayed everything down good with carb cleaner. Checked all passages and meters/jets and reassembled the carb. Reinstalled the carb and she ran like a top. I had tried all the tricks I know of to get a stuck float loose yesterday but none worked it was really stuck. Well I have a carb kit on hand if I do need it later.

Thanks for the help Pappy

sixshootertexan said:
He said the Attwood fuel line bulbs were junk. That would be the least expensive thing wrong with it. So I picked up a Johnson bulb to replace the Attwood if it fails. He showed me how to check the fuel pump to see if it was bad.

This may sound stupid, but make sure the primer bulb is pointing in the right direction, it has an arrow indicating flow to the engine from the tank. Yeah, I know you probably already know this, but I have seen a good number on backwards.

Bufford

Latest posts