New to boating. Need help with mounting motor on jon boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaphikap

Reaction score
Ok, I just bought my first boat so forgive me for my ignorance. I have an Alumacraft MV 1448 and I purchased a Tohatsu 20HP tiller online which I have yet to receive. My question is do I need plywood between the transom and the motor clamp when I mount the motor? I looked at several new boats with motors before I made my purchase and noticed they had plywood sandwiched between the transom and motor. I assume this is to offer support and distribute the pressure on the transom from the clamps.

So...optional but recommended? Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can't speak for your application; but in most cases, this is used in our neck of the woods just to raise the motor up on the transom. Pictures would help and I feel someone "far more learned than I " will be along shortly. Hope this helps! :) 8)

Go on west marines web site and they sell a rubber transom mount pad made by moeller,that is the best investment i have ever made as it saves the transom from getting all dinged up and scratched up.Pus it almost eliminates all vibration in the tiller handle.Good luck.

Latest posts