Anyone know about???????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbakerinc said:
1967 Evinrude 60 hp.
Model # 60753

might be picking one up cheap.

And it may very well be worth every penny.
If you are seriously considering one of those early beasts then make sure the engine is in decent shape internally. A three cylinder Johnson or Evinrude Looper's first sign of wear will seldom be the compression. You may find very good top compression in the engine but find the engine will die when put in gear in the water. The cause is lack of crankcase compression and the subsequent lack of "pulse" to the carburetors. As the piston skirts wear and the lower cylinder walls taper along with that wear the crankcase compression and vacuum pulses will go below what is required to pull fuel into the intake past the reeds and the compression "push" needed to take the atomized fuel up and into the intake ports and on top of the piston. This scenario is made worse when the engine is in the water at static waterline depth as that added water pressure aggravates the exhaust scavenging at idle RPM. Those engines were built with the crankcase compression ratio (not the numbers seen with a compression gauge) on the hairy edge of being good enough. Long story made short.......test that engine in the water! Do not let it be tested on the trailer.Let it idle and make several shifts from forward into reverse. If the idle RPM has been raised by the current owner walk away, he is covering up the issue. I really like that family of engines (have a mid-80s 60hp on my 15' Whaler) but I have seen many worn out engines change hands with that issue and the unhappy new owners that just bought them. Just an FYi - my 60hp crossed that wear threshold last Summer and it will soon be on my project list to freshen up unless I can find a nice 75hp powerhead to freshen up instead! Sorry for the long winded reply.

Well when I say cheap I mean under $100 bucks. That is a major factor for me I guess. If it doesn't work evilbay will be calling.

It is either that one or a 1974 50hp Evinrude with all the controls and everything the '67 doesn't come with anything.

I guess I just dont know what way to go. The 74 has a bad *** original finish i haven't seen on any other Evinrudes.

Latest posts