What to look for when buying a used saltwater motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 1998 evinrude 9.9. As a first time (first time in this the last two decades) buyer, what should I look out for. The motor was used in salt water for a few years. It has a new thermostat, water pump and impeller. Is 600-700 a good price for this motor?

Only answer I can give you is to try to find out if the guy flushed the motor EVERY time after use. You might ask something like

" I don't have to flush this thing all of the time, do I ??"

and make it sound like that would hold up your purchase. You just might get an honest answer then.

A saltwater motor should be flushed EVERY time. I did it this afternoon, even though I was dead tired and would have rather just taken the boat to the boat barn. Oh, some guys don't flush them and seem to be OK. Not me. EVERY time!
regards, Rich

This price is about right on for that vintage plus the service items that have recently been done. Am seeing the prices in my neck of the woods climb like crazy lately. Fact is that you can't buy new lightweight two-strokes anymore. You have basically answered your own question about the engine. Regardless of the flushing of the engine ( and the previous poster was dead on in the fact that more flushing is better) the fact is that the fasteners came out without a torch and the service items that needed to be changed were done. That is peace of mind as far as reliability goes. If the engine is in good shape visually then go for it. Take the time when you get it to possibly split the lower pan halves and clean up the engine and do a good visual on it plus loosen some of the fasteners on the cylinder head, intake and exhaust covers, etc. and re-torque. Never hurts to do that to a saltwater engine to ensure that the fasteners will come out when you need them to. They are fantastic little engines and just about bulletproof if you take care of them and run them reasonably.

richg99 said:
Only answer I can give you is to try to find out if the guy flushed the motor EVERY time after use. You might ask something like

" I don't have to flush this thing all of the time, do I ??"

and make it sound like that would hold up your purchase. You just might get an honest answer then.

A saltwater motor should be flushed EVERY time. I did it this afternoon, even though I was dead tired and would have rather just taken the boat to the boat barn. Oh, some guys don't flush them and seem to be OK. Not me. EVERY time!
regards, Rich
Thanks, that sounds like a good strategy for asking about flushing the motor. I take really good care of my stuff, so it makes me nervous when I buy something used.

Pappy said:
This price is about right on for that vintage plus the service items that have recently been done. Am seeing the prices in my neck of the woods climb like crazy lately. Fact is that you can't buy new lightweight two-strokes anymore. You have basically answered your own question about the engine. Regardless of the flushing of the engine ( and the previous poster was dead on in the fact that more flushing is better) the fact is that the fasteners came out without a torch and the service items that needed to be changed were done. That is peace of mind as far as reliability goes. If the engine is in good shape visually then go for it. Take the time when you get it to possibly split the lower pan halves and clean up the engine and do a good visual on it plus loosen some of the fasteners on the cylinder head, intake and exhaust covers, etc. and re-torque. Never hurts to do that to a saltwater engine to ensure that the fasteners will come out when you need them to. They are fantastic little engines and just about bulletproof if you take care of them and run them reasonably.
Thanks for the info! I also realize how prices have gone up. Since the it has become harder to find 2 strokes, the prices have really jumped. I saw a 1976 evinrude 9.9 sell for $850. That is just crazy because they didn't even cost that much when bought new. I have also notices that the price difference between a 1998 and a 1988 motor is not significant at all.

Latest posts