Just got an outboard, and yes, I'm a newb!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franner11

Reaction score
OK folks, just looking for some tips since this is my first outboard motor ever.
I just got a 1988 Mercury 2-stroke short shaft 8hp motor from a guy who fixes them up and resells them.
Although he gave me some good advice for wear and tear care, it was all overwhelming and verbal within about 30 minutes.
That said, I have my jon boat registered etc, and just got a fire extinguisher and horn. I am not planning on getting lights since I won't be doing any night fishing.
Other than that, I already got the following...
Non-ethanol 93 octane gas
50-1 outboard oil
stablizer gas stuff to keep it from "varnishing"

The guy I bought the motor from cleaned the hell out of the motor, installed a new water pump, new spark plugs, and replaced all seals this year. I haven't started it up yet as I still need a fuel line part (there's a 7 day warranty on the engine, so I'm not getting screwed), and this guy has agreed to be reasonably accessible for any questions I may have.

Any other advice you awesome experts can tell me for keeping this motor in tip-top shape?

Thanks in advance!

I'm new as well to this site, you will get plenty of answers! I will suggest that you avoid rocks! Just kidding! PFD's are a great place to start, you'll be surprised how fast that boat will go when you fall off of it! make sure its centered on the transom, that the cavitation plate is even (at least close) to the bottom of your boat when mounted, and then, play with the trim pin...adjusting the angle of the motor shaft. If it is flat against the transom, your going to be pushing the bow down, if it is out too far, you will not get on plane, it has to be just right, you will notice a difference with each pin setting.

Most of all...HAVE FUN! Safe boating!

thanks for your response rgpemt!
got it mounted and all centered on the transom last night etc. last night - measured several times to be extra sure.
haven't put it in the water yet, but i'll be sure to see what angle will be best!
can't wait to take her out on the water!!

Latest posts