This could be big...and good for boating & autos

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like alot of big talk to me, considering these people don't even know what truly goes on when the fuel mixture is ignited, They like most people explain that the fuel is ignited by the spark and the explosion is what forces the piston down but what is really taking place is that the fuel mixture is being ignited and this raises the temerature of the working gas thereby raising the cylinders pressure. The pressure is what forces the piston down creating hp not the explosion. References from Gordon Jennings Two stroke TUNER's HANDBOOK.
I might not understand it all the way either but they're claiming that the laser will ignite the charge faster but I think you could achieve the same thing by advancing your spark. I don't know just my thoughts on it.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
I might not understand it all the way either but they're claiming that the laser will ignite the charge faster but I think you could achieve the same thing by advancing your spark. I don't know just my thoughts on it.
Advancing the timing would make the spark happen earlier, not faster. They are claiming to be able to ignite the entire mixture faster by lighting it at multiple places. Interesting, but I don't see how an optical device would survive the environment of the combustion chamber and maintain the needed surface finishing needed for the optical properties to stay in spec.

acabtp said:
Lil' Blue Rude said:
Advancing the timing would make the spark happen earlier, not faster. They are claiming to be able to ignite the entire mixture faster by lighting it at multiple places. Interesting, but I don't see how an optical device would survive the environment of the combustion chamber and maintain the needed surface finishing needed for the optical properties to stay in spec.
I understand that advance ing the spark makes it happen earlier but lets say if the laser is making the charge burn 3 times faster at say 21degree BTC and a spark plug charge burns 3 times slower but introduces the spark in a degree earlier the charge should burn the charge in the same time as the laser. (in theory, not sure how many degres diffrence it would be just threw that out there) I understand there is a diffrence between advancing the timing and speeding up the burn but to a lesser degree it is the same thing because the both of them deal with timing. I've read alot of this stuff dealing with moddifing outboards for the past two years and like I've said before I don't see this being any kind of answer to anything.

Just another bottle of snake oil :wink:

bcbouy said:
direct injection would be a lot more efficient as well.
Direct Injection has been used for a number of years on outboards, it is a great design. Diesel has always been Direct Injected but that is unrelated. I like the DI engines, have had the chance to work on some, its pretty cool and VERY efficient.

Bufford

Latest posts