breaking in brand new 15hp merc outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassfishinh123

Reaction score
My buddy is gettin a brand new 2011 15hp merc. what would be the propper way in breaking in this outboard. Thanks

i would suggest he reads the owners manual and follow the break in instructions.
some will say run double oil for the first tank of gas, but most newer oil injected do that automatically
when i broke in my 225hpdi they manual said to let it idle for 15 mins the run the boat and vary the speed never keeping it at one speed for to long for the first 5 hours
they also recommended that i change the gear oil after 20 hours

redbug said:
i would suggest he reads the owners manual and follow the break in instructions.
some will say run double oil for the first tank of gas, but most newer oil injected do that automatically
when i broke in my 225hpdi they manual said to let it idle for 15 mins the run the boat and vary the speed never keeping it at one speed for to long for the first 5 hours
they also recommended that i change the gear oil after 20 hours
Isn't it a four stroke, so there wouldn't be any oil injection

My motor isn't a 4 stroke either.
newer motors have oil injection instead of mixing the oil in the gas tank.
make sure to read the manual

here is what I did on my new 04 60 merc 2 stroke:

Took the boat out for the "break in" run on 5/19/04 to break in the motor, which was keep it below 3000 RPM for the 1st hour while varying the rpm's a lot, not extended running at any one rpm > three minutes per owners manual. After one hour, go over 3000 rpm and keep varying the rpm's for another hour or so. Brian Mayes told me to follow this process, along with putting one QT of oil IN the gas tank itself with only 15 Gallons of gas. Run this gas out as much as possible, following the above directions and the motor is broken in. Ran about 5 gallons out on 5/19, ran the motor almost non-stop for 2 hours. It died at idle once or twice while I was just riding around. Did not go over 3k rpms for the 1st hour, and then only up to 4200 rpms the 2nd hour

I have had zero problems with my 60. Runs good, starts fine/easy, it sits over the winter in an unheated garage. I think I still have the original plugs in, use stabil/marine stabil in the gas all the time. Have never used seafoam to de-carbon it as it runs good imo.

It is spelled out in the owner's manual, tell him to adhere to it because that process seats in the engine parts, it is very important. It can mean the difference between a 5 year and a 20 yr motor.

Bufford

Latest posts