Found my powerplant, how do I make it work?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
My boat has the rack/pinion steering cable. Where the steering wheel pushes a rod out of a tube when turned. Similar to this setup
houseboat-steering-where-what-to-buy-21290886.jpg

I'm doing some horsetrading for a running and driving 1970 Johnson 40hp engine, but it has the old cable and pulley steering setup on it.

I need to convert it to the rack/pinion. I was linked to this kit to change it over, but I don't know how it's supposed to work.

https://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/TELEFLEX-SA27149P-CLAMP-BLOCK-KIT-STAINLESS_p_12129.html

Any Help?

Woohoo, I picked up my motor a couple of hours ago, runs like a champ, electronic shift with 8.0-8.1 resistance in both shift solenoids. Fired right up :mrgreen:

It's just like this one
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bar/2308473089.html

And has the carry handle on the front, so I've got to figure out exactly how to swap it over to the rack/pinion steering, which kit to buy or what to fabricate.

I have one of those motors out in the garage that was set up for rack and pinion when I got it. I will take a picture of the bracket on the outboard for you later.

There are companies that do make aftermarket kits to bolt onto the front of the older outboards that allow you to convert them to that steering setup. It gives you a steering tube to connect the other end of that cable through. Just got to do some searching for them but they are out there.

Bufford

Alrighty, I've robbed the steering tube off of a parts motor. I need to find a clamp that will mount to the transom, or mount to a spacer that mounts to the transom to hold the tube and I'll be golden.

I was thinking something like a heavy conduit clamp, or something along those lines. I'm going to the hardware store today to see what kind of clamps they may have to hold it in place.

-John