1983 25hp merc, with a leaky fuel filter under the cowel...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbarrow81

Reaction score
Well, to say it's running rough is a joke! The bulb assembley is new and Im adding an inline fuel filter tomorrow. Just a clear car one that I can toss when it gets to dirty, they are cheap and pretty good. Anyway when you take off the hood, above the hose connector there is the little tube with a small filter in it. When you squeese the hose it fills up, but also bubbles and leaks. The hose wont stay hard either, shoot I had to run it with the choke wide open and fast idle just to keep it going! Also the is just a very small amount of fuel in the tube, teeny! Im wondering can I bypass it since Im putting tje inline filter on? Or can I replace it with another inline filter in its place? (New fuel hose, 90' angle fitting, new filter) Thanks for the help! I took pics so It will seem obvious as to what I mean! Thanks, Will.

Attachments

• FILTER 5.jpg
    FILTER 5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 512
  • FILTER 4.jpg
    FILTER 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 512
in have the same motor but an 84. if you are putting another filter in line just bypass it. my was leaking yesterday but i was able to get it tighten more and it stopped. Just fyi it's very hard to find parts for this motor i had to jump through hoops to find a used carb for it last summer when i was trying to trace down a problem. the gasket kits are still easy to find though for the fuel pump and carb.

Thanks I was hopeing it would be fine to bypass, is another filter overkill? I was gonna add one, but since im taking one out I guess I should replace it also so im running two as origionally planned. Also is the fuel pump the blue circle attached to the carb? Just wondering. Im really hopeing that once the fuel system is air tight it will run great. Im getting the dreaded click when I turn the key over! Worked fine then click! Had batt tested, its fine, now taking the solenoid to advanced auto to have tested, if good taking starter. I knocked on the starter last night with some wood and it cranked over twice, but then I had to pull the rope to start. If anybody has suggestions on anything Im ALL ears!!! Thanks, Will

willbarrow81 said:
Thanks I was hopeing it would be fine to bypass, is another filter overkill? I was gonna add one, but since im taking one out I guess I should replace it also so im running two as origionally planned. Also is the fuel pump the blue circle attached to the carb? Just wondering. Im really hopeing that once the fuel system is air tight it will run great. Im getting the dreaded click when I turn the key over! Worked fine then click! Had batt tested, its fine, now taking the solenoid to advanced auto to have tested, if good taking starter. I knocked on the starter last night with some wood and it cranked over twice, but then I had to pull the rope to start. If anybody has suggestions on anything Im ALL ears!!! Thanks, Will

the filters are up to you 2 will not hurt. yes the blue circle is part of the fuel pump and a couple of layers behind it. Only time i have had clicks with the starter is when the the battery terminal wasn't on tight.

Latest posts