1988 evinrude 40hp ignotion problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question for you regarding my motor. So I got this motor this passed weekend and was told it ran but then there was a problem with the solenoid. I with the previous owner took a volt meter and checked the electrical system on the outboard. It was getting power from the battery to the solenoid but from the solenoid to the ignition caps there was no power. To me it seems like it needs a new solenoid. What do yall think? could it be anything else? I have taken the battery terminals and cleaned them to brand new shine and there is no corroision on the solenoid itself.

It is an electric start motor by the way. Also Is it more practical to get a new starter or just to rebuild the existing starter? The starter is ok and works but I would reither know it is in great shape before getting out on the water.

Thanks guys and I have the number off the outboard as well as the serial number for it if its needed.

Thanks for yalls help and ill start a build soon on my boat and motor

f2k

Even though it is an electric start motor....can you rope/hand start it? Many electric start motors have a rope included. If so, you will know if it is worth spending any more time or money on it. Rich

It doesnt have a rope on it. I dont mind putting the money in it. It has brand new carbs and everything in it. It has great compression it just seems to not be making the arc of power from battery to starter thats all

What do you mean "the ignition caps" ? The solenoid has zero to do with the engine ignition system, only cranking. The red/yellow wire supplies 12V to energize the solenoid and allow 12V from the battery, through the solenoid, to the starter. That red/yellow lead passes from the back side of the key switch through your control box and hooks to a neutral safety switch which must be closed in the neutral position to allow 12V to reach the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position.

pappy,

I understand about this. Its not getting power from the solenoid to the starter so it wont crank. If I can get it to crank it stays cranks and works but it work turn the starter over with the solenoid since its not getting power from the solenoid to the starter. The battery is suppling the solenoid with power though which is strange. I have pictures of the solenoid and wires if yall want to see it and maybe that will help. Let me know

F2k

If you will re-read my post I have given you the information you need to diagnose the red/yellow wire! Again, that is the wire that energizes the solenoid. Nothing strange about the battery supplying power to the solenoid. That is where the battery red wire is supposed to be connected. If you want to see if the solenoid will work then short between the red battery wire and the red/yellow on the solenoid.

Latest posts