1970 johnson 9.5 question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlec

Reaction score
So i just bought this motor an got it running but it overheated. I am gonna tear into the water punp but my manual hasnt come yet. Anyone have a website with the tear down or any tips or pointers thanks

So when i bought this motor it seemed like it was well taken care of on the top end. Well after dropping the lower unit that opinion changed lol. When i drained the oil, it came out like caramel an had that light brown look!! I would say the oil hadnt been changed idm years! Next problem is the water pump screws. I only got one out so far, broke the head of another an striped the other two! Last night was not a good night

Your description of the oil indicates water in the oil. Old worn gear oil will be black and very smelly. While you have the gearcase off you would do yourself well to take it to a dealer and have them pressure check the unit and change whatever seal is leaking.

yeah i know there is water in it. Looks like when you blow a head gasket on a car. I was thinking its also old bc it smelled pretty burnt up

Pappy is right, if you can't pressure test it yourself and replace the seals that are bad get it to a dealer quickly. You need to get gear lube back inside that unit ASAP, with it drained and exposed it will begin to rust those bearings inside FAST. Don't leave it drained and empty.

How can i pressure test it myself? An can i fill just the lower unit while its off until i pressure test it?

Littlec said:
How can i pressure test it myself? An can i fill just the lower unit while its off until i pressure test it?
You will need a pressure gauge, like a MityVac style pump. You have to be very careful NOT to over pressurize it or you will blow the seals and they will leak for sure. It is not much pressure at all, like 5 psi for 5 minutes to see if you have leakdown, and if not up to about 10 for 10 minutes. Nothing major but you would need the pump with gauge, hose and fitting for the lower unit.

Bufford

Latest posts