upgrading a 9.9 to a 15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse

Reaction score
I have a new yamaha 9.9 2 stroke and would like to do the upgrade to make it a 15hp, could someone please info me about how to do it and where would I buy the parts to upgrade it.

Thanks

Can't say for sure if this is a viable option or not for yamaha they may have different blocks.....with that said IMO for what you would have to buy to do the upgrade you might be money ahead to sell the 9.9 and buy a 15....especially if you have to pay someone to do it.

Jesse said:
I have a new yamaha 9.9 2 stroke and would like to do the upgrade to make it a 15hp, could someone please info me about how to do it and where would I buy the parts to upgrade it.

Thanks

Hi Jesse,

It's very easy. Just do what Pappy wrote.

hwew said:
Jesse said:

Thanks

Hi Jesse,

It's very easy. Just do what Pappy wrote.
Oh, would you happen to know a member of the Iboat's forum that uses the name of boater1234 ?
LOL

That is located behind the carb right?That is what yamaha told me also,like pappy said it's only a reed change and there is a restrictor plate behind the carb also that must go or be changed.That is what restricts the air flow to the motor they told me.You are right i went over every main engine part with the rep on the phone and the only different part was as pappy said the reeds behind the carb.Jesse also make sure you think about the warranty as it will void it because you are modifying the motor.That is what yamaha told me.More then likely you will never have a problem as it's new but just in case you do they won't honor the warranty they said.I don't know how they could tell you swapped the reeds out though.How exactly do you do it?I have the same motor and it's brand new not a second of running time.Do you just take the carb off and unbolt the restrictor plate and the reeds just come out or do they mount some how also?If it's that simple to get an extra 5hp i would like help also on what to do.Also they told me it's only a $75 part so that is fairly cheap for a nice 5hp increase.

Latest posts