9.5 johnson wont start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajg6989

Reaction score
9.5 johnson wont start there is fuel at the carb. the bulb stays hard and i have fuel in the cleaned out fuel bowl. I also noticed the shifter linkage is cracked where it connects around the rod with the square key before going down. This is where the pin sits on the shelf of the throttle. is this the neutral safety position.

What year is the engine? Give as much info as you can.

Also, Rich is right...do you have spark?

it did start and ran for 5 seconds before it cut out when I first got it but for now Im going to start a rebuild I got runny gray oil out of the gear case so got that apart needs new seals and o rings it also needs a new type fuel pump as the old one leaks also fuel lines are hard and not all the clips are there. so just tear it down and start over thank you for the help. I was told it was easy to rebuild and I was suprised at how easy the gears intermesh inside the gear head

Yeah those are pretty simple, the smaller outboards don't usually have any gear shimming to do so no specialty tools needed. Seal up that gear case good and have it pressure tested to make sure the seals are in good.

If your fuel fuel pump is leaking the diaphragm inside probably busted, so no gas movement. Rubber rots at the same speed and ethanol speeds that up dramatically, make sure to use an ethanol stabilizer in the fuel and if you can get the blue fuel lines and primer balls they sell now that are ethanol resistant to help keep everything fresh and flexible.

Good luck with it man.
Bufford