1970 40hp Johnson Electric Shift Questions, long read

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
I posted this on iboats as well, hoping for a quick response so I can get on the water :mrgreen:

I recently traded for a 1970 Johnson 40hp electric(selectric) shift motor.

The motor fires up and runs well.

The model number is 40es 70a

Serial Number J3295244

I'm having issues with the shift control. Not really issues I guess, just questions.

I've checked the resistance on both shift solenoids and on one meter they are both 8.0-8.1 on the other meter they are both 9.1-9.3. I don't have a real expensive meter, just the low end CenTech and I forget the other brand. Both cost less than 20 dollars.

I figure the solenoids are still good. I don't think they would both go out at the same time and have the same resistance.

I read somewhere on the forum to apply 12v to the shift wires coming from the lower unit and try to spin the prop by hand.

With no power applied, the prop spins freely.

With 12 volts applied on the first wire, the prop locks up when spinning counterclockwise

With 12 volts applied on the second wire, the prop locks up when spinning clockwise

Going from the selector switch/throttle control to check the voltage coming from the leads that plug into the shift solenoid wires, in neutral I get no power, in forward I get 12v on one wire and in reverse I get 12v on the other wire.

Which wire plugs in where? Does the wire receiving 12v in reverse plug into the wire that locks the propeller spinning clockwise, or the wire that locks the prop spinning counterclockwise?

Also, we had to wire in a new universal ignition switch. We went with everything that we could find and used the new(automotive) switch strictly as a starting switch. It's wired to the battery, the solenoid, and the shifter for the electric shift.

The magneto wires were separated and put onto on/off toggle switches with a common ground. That's the best we could figure. In theory, with both toggle switches on, the magneto should work as it was with the factory ignition switch and turn both switches off and the key off and the engine should die.

If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me before I injure myself

Although a little complicated, your wiring sounds like it will work. On the shift you have to figure it this way. You have a righthand propeller or "clockwise" so if the gearcase locks up when power is applied to the coil that stops rotation in the counter-clockwise direction that will power the propeller clockwise and vice versa.....make sense?

It's not complicated :mrgreen:

We figured it out yesterday, thanks to Joe Reeves from iboats. Evidently, he's the local guru on these engines. He figured out the jumble and told me which wire does what.

Fired it up last night in the tank and it appears like it's all working. Just picked up my steering bracket and have to figure out how to mount it up to the boat and I should be lake testing the boat either late this afternoon or Sunday morning :mrgreen:

Latest posts