Long shaft Evinrude on a 16 inch transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I just bought a 9.9 Evinrude. the previous owner had it converted to a long shaft. My Polar Kraft has a 16 inch transom. I have to pull the lower unit off to change the impeller, so my question is do I need to convert it back to a short shaft or can I run it with the long shaft?

I was going to build a jack plate, but I figure I maight as well chance it back if I need to. Thanks Todd

do I need to convert it back to a short shaft or can I run it with the long shaft?

16" transom will require a short shaft unless you raise the long shaft motor or convert it back.. Determine where your cavitation plate is in reference to the bottom of your boat. This will best answer your guestion.

i think you will have to buy a drive shaft to short shaft it. at the same time them parts are worth money or save them just in case.

Jackplate or shorten the engine as has been mentioned. You will need both a driveshaft and a shiftshaft. Was cheaper for me (this week) to buy a used shortshaft complete gearcase for one of my buy/sell engines. Adjustable jackplates from Bobs Machine are less than $150 and that may work for you.

Latest posts