20hp 4-stroke vs. 25hp 2-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloch16

Reaction score
I have a Lowes L1440M with no motor. Need to decide between a 25hp 2-stroke and 20hp 4-stroke. Both motors weigh the same (around 114lb), will the extra 5hp make a big difference? Boat was made in 1991 and is rated for 25hp. If you buy the same boat today it is only rated for 20hp. My guess is they are taking the additional weight of 4-stroke motors into consideration when rating the max hp with boats bought today.

Anyhow, I'm not terribly worried about zipping down the lake at 100mph but I do want to get up on plane with two adults or one adult and 2 kids. I'm not decking the boat or anything fancy. I like the fact that 4-stroke run cleaner and idle better.

What would you do?

moloch16 said:
I have a Lowes L1440M with no motor. Need to decide between a 25hp 2-stroke and 20hp 4-stroke. Both motors weigh the same (around 114lb), will the extra 5hp make a big difference? Boat was made in 1991 and is rated for 25hp. If you buy the same boat today it is only rated for 20hp. My guess is they are taking the additional weight of 4-stroke motors into consideration when rating the max hp with boats bought today.

Anyhow, I'm not terribly worried about zipping down the lake at 100mph but I do want to get up on plane with two adults or one adult and 2 kids. I'm not decking the boat or anything fancy. I like the fact that 4-stroke run cleaner and idle better.

What would you do?

If cost isn't an issue then I would go the 4-stroke route just for the same factors you mentioned. Also, should be easier to troubleshoot and repair compared to temperamental 2-stroke motors. Maybe even better fuel economy and no oil blending or oil injection.

given the emissions laws that are coming down the pike (and even if they haven't gotten to your area yet, it's a safe bet they will), the 4 stroke is a better bet in my eyes...also, I'm a newbie to boats, but i would assume that like motorcycles and ATVs, the four stroke has more torque than the oil burner, which means better fuel mileage and a better, broader and flatter power curve, which means you don't have to run it at WFO to make the boat move.....again, I'm a newbie to boats, so if I'm wrong, somebody please re-direct me....

/plus, mixing oil/gas is a pita.....

2 stroke will have a lot more torque than the 4 stroke, especially being 5HP more. Depending on the model, the 25 will probably run circles arounf the 20. And if getting on a plane with more than one person in the boat is your priority, I would go with the 2 stroke 25. The 20 will definitly be cleaner, smoother at idle, and more fuel efficient. Either way, I think either of the motors would do the job(as far as getting on a plane). The 2 stroke would ge on a plane quicker. I would go for the one with the extra go-juice, but thats just me.

What year, make and model motors are you looking at?

I would go with the 2 stroke for sure. I dread the day i have to own a 4 stroke!

KRS

moloch16 said:
nathanielrthomas said:
What year, make and model motors are you looking at?
I'm open to buying new if I go the 20hp 4-stroke route (Yammy or Mercury).

As far as 2-strokes 25hp I'd prefer a Yammy, no more than 15 years old. Also, strongly considering this Mercury 25hp 2-Stroke Sea Pro

I like that merc... good price too

moloch16 said:

I got my 1655 on plane with a 20hp 2 stroke this weekend with three adults and two kids.

I would go with the 4 stroke if I were you. Emissions is one reason, an I love my 2-strokes, but times are chaning and the EPA is even requiring that 4-strokes have catalytic converters on them soon, new stern drives already have to have them. They are pushing hard to rid the world of the 2-strokes.

Either one will push it on plane, the 4 is MUCH quieter and will definately have better fuel economy and less emissions into the air and water. A 2 will leap out of the hole faster but they will be about the same once up and running down the lake.

Keep us posted
Bufford

I disagree with them trying to get rid of 2 strokes.
As long as motors meet emission standards(EPA/whatever),they will be here.
Etec is a 2 stroke(as clean or cleaner then 4 strokes),I don't think they are going anywhere soon,plus all the new EFI 2 strokes probably meet the standards as well.

I like the 25hp but if you think theres going to be bans on older dirty 2 strokes the 20hp may be a better option.
I think there would be a big difference in preformance though,some smaller 4 strokes are real slow out the hole.

If 2 strokes are banned, I would expect it would only effect NEW sales and would not let that effect a buying decision today.

KRS

Guarantee that if you had two identical boats side by side the 25 two stroke would put the other one on the trailer in both acceleration and top end. Noise was mentioned earlier. Both engines will be around the same decibel at WOT but the 4 stroke wins when idling or off idle. Bad part about the 4 strokes (other than the fact they just sound so boring while running) is the cost of repairing one. Let one sit for a season while the gas goes bad and you'll wish you hadn't done that. As far as an out and out ban on two-strokes, I don't see that coming down the pike. The older engines will be allowed to run until they are retired and the Marine industry is fighting the good fight every day to keep the liberal idiots in Washington from over regulating the industry and finishiing it off.

Another vote for the 2 stroke. The extra 5 hp will be noticed. I had a 2 stroke 20 and now a 2 stroke 25 and there is a noticeable difference.

Latest posts