Remote control for Mercury 25HP question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scroggs

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am new here and new to boat ownership in general- so please excuse my ignorance.

I recently got a used Alumacraft 1546 that the previous owner had converted to a center console with bass boat layout decking. Well I am having to redo the decking due to wear (cheap plywood) and I am probably going to replace a lot of the other parts while I have everything torn out.

The current remote control is side mounted to the starboard side of the center console and is aftermarket. I don't like it because it feels warn and flimsy.

From the research I have done online, the Mercury OEM control that I think would usually come with this motor (2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25HP) is designed to be mounted to the starboard gunwale, but I would want to mount it on the starboard side of the center console- therefore it would have to be reversed for mounting and not really usable.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and get another aftermarket remote that is of higher quality? I was hoping to get an OEM to ease the issue of wiring, I don't think the previous owner wired correctly- there are a lot of unused wires under the console. Do any manufacturers make a decent remote that goes well with the mercury? Anyone run into this- any recommendations?

Thanks, sorry so wordy

Sorry I cna't answer your question, but do you know why the previouse owner chose to use a bigfoot on the boat? Seems odd.

I have no idea. This has been my first boat it has been a learning experience to say the least. Once you take a boat apart, you find out what you should have been looking at when you bought it.

Latest posts