1976 evinrude 15 hp idling problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxpro388

Reaction score
hey im new to outbards and bought a 1976 evinrude 15 hp off of ebay for around $300. The thing looks immaculate. Its been repainted and most of the parts have been redone including servicing the lower end rebuilding the power head. THe guy had all the receipts for it but said it didn t run due to fuel pmp problem. I looked at it quickly and saw that the outside of it was cracked and bought a new one. I got it to start but have not been able to get it to idle correctly. I took the carbs off and cleaned them out good took the air hose and blew them out. It still doesnt idle correctly though. it will run fine for a while at medium speed too high but wont run long it dies out. i try to idle down and it stalls out. Final thing is there is a good quarter turn play in the tiller handle and its tough to know where the loswest speed should be set for the idle...? any ideas or suggestions about my motor. I ordered a new water pump kit as well as thermostat in case

There is a small tube inside the carb that goes from the bottom of the fuel bowl up to the top of the main body and supplies the idle circuit with fuel. Chances are this tube is blocked. The high speed circuit has to be clean and clear also in order to feed the idle circuit. The high speed circuit appears to be functioning due to the fact it runs okay on that circuit and the fact that it will run on the choke setting. Am assuming the carb was cleaned but there is no guarantee it was done correctly. Check it.

Latest posts