Don't laugh.....everyone started somewhere

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bt4264

Reaction score
I'd bet I'm not the only one that is in this position.
I want to check/change the impellor on my Mariner 25 hp.
I know once I get into it, I'd figure it out.
But can someone get me started? Where is it?????
Do I come in by removing the lower unit? or get to it from the top?

(This is kind of like learning how to change the oil in Dad's truck for the first time....... :? )

I have an 1983 mariner 25 hp motor.
What year is the motor? Was it made by yamaha?

It's a 2000 or 2001, can't remember.
I don't know if it was made by Yamaha or not.....how would I find out?
Thanks

I will post a pic when I get home this afternoon.
Mine also has the shifter and the throttle control in the handle. There is no lever for the shifter. I just read a comment in the "A Primer on Old Outboards" sticky thread, that states those were harder to do impellor work on........or is that just for the old ones?

Also, I just remembered I do have the owner's manual and it is in fact Mercury Mariner.

disconnect the shifter linkage (on my mercury 25 you get to it from under the hood) then take the lower unit off, you cant miss the impeller housing

No one is laughing Dude, just like you said, everyone started somewhere. I had to do the impeller and rebuild the carb on mine last year. I worked on cars for almost 10 years, and consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but was scared out of my mind for some reason about fixing this stuff on my outboard. Granted mine isn't a 25hp, but it literally took me 10 minutes to change the impeller. Just like Trcothorn said, disconnect your shift linkage, take off your lower unit (which on mine was just 4 screws) and the impeller housing was right there. Just remember to clean out the housing really well when you take it out, and lube up the edges of the impeller fins a little when you put the new one in so it doesn't run dry. Easy job.

I think I have the same mariner as you or atleast close. did you change the impellor and was it really that easy? I think I'm gonna order the stuff to do mine

Maybe this goes without saying, but since you asked where the impeller is I figure you don't have one of these yet, but I would get a service manual and parts diagram before tearing anything apart.

SVOMike86 said:
No one is laughing Dude, just like you said, everyone started somewhere. I had to do the impeller and rebuild the carb on mine last year. I worked on cars for almost 10 years, and consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but was scared out of my mind for some reason about fixing this stuff on my outboard. Granted mine isn't a 25hp, but it literally took me 10 minutes to change the impeller. Just like Trcothorn said, disconnect your shift linkage, take off your lower unit (which on mine was just 4 screws) and the impeller housing was right there. Just remember to clean out the housing really well when you take it out, and lube up the edges of the impeller fins a little when you put the new one in so it doesn't run dry. Easy job.
X2! know lots of guys that can work on cars, not that many that can work on boat motors or small engines. it's a learning process, not that hard. I replaced a 100 mariner powerhead, made a ton of notes and drawings. darn thing actually ran after I got done. don't know if the PLEASE START [-o< helped any! :lol:

My first impeller replacement was on a 15hp Johnson. I had a manual which is now covered in greasy fingerprints. I learned that while the lower unit is down, changing the lower unit seals made sense. Why drop it twice? I also purchased a pilot bearing remover attached to a slide hammer which made removing shaft seals a lot easier.

Good luck!