Motor size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
I have a Lowe 1642 with a 16 inch transom. not a real wide boat. I am looking at a 1957 Evenrude 30 hp motor with electric start. It runs well and I like the older motors as I have a 15 hp fastwin. The 30 weighs about 135 lbs. I am wondering if that is going to be too heavy for my boat? I have no idea.... but it would be nice to have enough power to get out of a storm fast if necessary... Thanks for any help...

I own a 16' 42" Blazer SS with a 40hp evinrude short shaft electric start with a jet. It wouldn't bother me to put a 60hp on it and I'm kinda in the work of it right now if I can find some parts. I don't think the 30hp will be to much weight for it.

Weight wise you will be fine. That boat will hold that engine easily. Weighs about the same as some of the lower horsepower porkier 4-strokes these days!
Second, either your year or your horsepower is incorrect. Evinrude made a 35hp in 1957. The 30hp was discontinued in 1956. Here's the reason I mention this. If it is a 30hp then you must run a 6V system to your engine. The 12V systems did not start until 1957. If you will give me the model number on the tag in the front I will tell you what it is.

Thanks, yeah it was a 35. Guy has it FS. Just wondering .... this 57 has electric start. Anything go wrong with those easily? fixing the electric start dificult? I was looking at more modern 10HP motors and rebuilding an old 15 fastwin, but I like the thought of having 35 hp in case it gets stormy and I wanna go home faster than a 15 will take me. Thanks

Not knowing the engine and only assuming it is in decent mechanical shape I would tell you that the biggest issue for you will be the wiring harness condition. Other checks and updates have to occur to bring the engine back into the level of reliability that was built into them originally. Those services would include a full ignition cleaning and update, a new water pump assembly or at least a new impeller. Probably a new shift rod seal and as long as you are there go ahead and replace all the gearcase seals. I would rebuild the carburetor using a new OEM kit with the newest alcohol resistant float and gaskets. Engine must be run on 24:1 fuel oil ratio, no less - ever. Doesn't matter what your buddy or local mechanic tells you.

Latest posts