pulling to the right

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-MAN

Reaction score
I have read a post on here before about this but couldnt find it again. I have a 2006 yamanha 15hp tiller steer outboard, if i dont keep alot of pressure on it it pulls to the right very hard its not just a gradual pull either it would just about toss you out of the boat if you let go of the tiller. What do i do to stop this form happening? Any advice would help alot. Thanks in advance

Without pulling up a pic of your motor,is there a little fin on the back bottom of your cavitation plate?

Maybe not on a 15hp :?:

did you get the boat like this? if it started recently,
did you bump something?
check the fin for bends. and make sure the motor is mounted perfectly vertical, a slight angle might make it want to turn.
check your hull too, any misalignment would make it turn on its own.
everything has to be symmetrical.

if everything is in perfect symmetry, what kind of boat is it on? if it's a small boat, it could be leaning to one side when you are on board. try to keep it well balanced.
on a friends square stern canoe, we would mount a small motor and lock the steering. we would then steer by leaning, just like on a bike but we had paddles at the ready.

There should be a screw that needs to tightened to dampen the steering.

thanks everyone i asked my dad and he said the same thing about the cavitation plate so im gonna try to adjust it and see what heppens

J.P. said:
did you get the boat like this? if it started recently,
did you bump something?
check the fin for bends. and make sure the motor is mounted perfectly vertical, a slight angle might make it want to turn.
check your hull too, any misalignment would make it turn on its own.
everything has to be symmetrical.

if everything is in perfect symmetry, what kind of boat is it on? if it's a small boat, it could be leaning to one side when you are on board. try to keep it well balanced.
on a friends square stern canoe, we would mount a small motor and lock the steering. we would then steer by leaning, just like on a bike but we had paddles at the ready.

Thanks i bought the boat new in august of last year its a tracker topper 1542 and i bought a 2006 yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke that was practally new i guess its done at all the time but not this bad

Pappy said:
The thread you are looking for is here.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18957

Thanks Pappy, that was the thread.

Latest posts