problems with 2001 9.9 johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

614-bass

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a lowe bass striker 160 with a 9.9 johnson with a 15hp carb. I just bought the boat and im a little worried about the motor. When i first start it, its kinda hard to start then it will die off and i have to keep starting it untill it will run stay running, if i put it back in neutral it will die off usually, if it doesnt it has died the last to tournament i have fished in the middle of taking off. then it will usually be fine after i restart it. But then every so often when i leave a spot the rpms will drop for a second then catch up. the highest its running though is 4200 to 4500 rpms? Should it be running higher?
Thanks

Regarding the stopping while at idle, i have heard that this is common with the 9.9's with 15hp carbs. It sounds like something is wrong with the carb, so I would clean it out and see what happens. At least that should be a good start.

well when the throttle is as far as i can push it it reads about 4200 to 4500 rpms on the gauge in my console. (sorry im only 17 and this is only the second motor ive owned so im kinda ignorant when it comes to them)

Regarding the stopping while at idle, i have heard that this is common with the 9.9's with 15hp carbs.

This is a false statement.If anything depending what year 15hp carb you get the idle may be better since they changed the idle circuit in the newer carbs for the good.
I've done the mod & idled all day with no problem & mine is an older carb.

I made a suggestion earlier that you richen the mixture at idle, have you done this yet or attempted to? That may be all it takes to correct the dying issue at idle.
Is that the original engine that came on the boat? Reason I ask is that the tachometer may not be on the correct setting for your engine and therefore not reading correctly.
That comment about the 9.9 with 15hp carb not idling simply could not be any farther from the truth. Continually amazes me what some people will write without the slightest clue if the statement is correct or not and apparently not caring that others may take that statement as absolute fact and be swayed into a poor decision by it.

No i havent adjusted the idle knob yet i will try tomorow and then take it for a drive if i get a chance between the thunderstorms tomorow. However im not sure whether it was the original motor ill ask the old owner if he knows (there was a guy before him) if thats not it though could it be the carb needs cleaned or something?
Thanks for the help though guys

Pappy said:
I made a suggestion earlier that you richen the mixture at idle, have you done this yet or attempted to? That may be all it takes to correct the dying issue at idle.
Is that the original engine that came on the boat? Reason I ask is that the tachometer may not be on the correct setting for your engine and therefore not reading correctly.
That comment about the 9.9 with 15hp carb not idling simply could not be any farther from the truth. Continually amazes me what some people will write without the slightest clue if the statement is correct or not and apparently not caring that others may take that statement as absolute fact and be swayed into a poor decision by it.

My dad has been a marine mechanic for the past 30 years. This is just what he warned me about when buying a 9.9/15 hp motor. This is just his opinion from 30 years of experience.

basstender10.6 said:
My dad has been a marine mechanic for the past 30 years. This is just what he warned me about when buying a 9.9/15 hp motor. This is just his opinion from 30 years of experience.

He must have the majority of his experience working on different product than the Johnson/Evinrude product line. He would be sorely mistaken in that comment to you!

Pappy said:
basstender10.6 said:

He must have the majority of his experience working on different product than the Johnson/Evinrude product line. He would be sorely mistaken in that comment to you!

Yea, he does most of his work on Merc's. He said he has a lot of people come in a after they put a 15hp carb in their 9.9 and depending on the make/model/year they claim to have trouble idling.

Latest posts