1967 9.5 hr johnson need help please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno57

Reaction score
ok i have cleaned the carb everything seems to be good there no but now everytime i pull it to start it with or without the choke it is spitting fule [-o< out of the over flow i need help please it will fire and dies real fast

Did you turn the carb upside down with the float on to set it?? I should be parallel (or just a little higher than parallel) to the housing (the top part of the bowl) when it is upside down.

How did you set your high and low speed needles? Just off the top of my head, if I remember right, I think the low speed needle should start around one turn open and the high speed about 1 1/2 turns open. Then adjust from there once motor has been running for a bit to get up to operatingin temp. Adjust the high speed (at WOT) needle first, then the low speed(at idle).

i messed with it more today and figured out that the float is bad old cork style and it was saturated and the little screws tat hold it on the top portion of the bowl chamber are rotted out and gone so time to order parts anyone got a good place to order from for a good price ?

gonna miss her

I had my idle mix at 3/4 turn to start with and went out to 1 1/2 and the other at 1 1/2 and did not move it any but i did find the problem thank you for your help i am really enjoying how helpful everyone is on here

ryno57 said:
gonna miss her

I had my idle mix at 3/4 turn to start with and went out to 1 1/2 and the other at 1 1/2 and did not move it any but i did find the problem thank you for your help i am really enjoying how helpful everyone is on here

No problem. Glad you figured it out. Forgoto to mention about the cork floats - that's one of the first things I replace on the old OMC's when I get one. I have actually had very good luck picking up sierra parts from O'Reilly Auto Parts and NAPA if you have either one close to you. If not, just check a local parts store. I would guess that many of them carry a Sierra catalog. I usually don't have to wait more than a day if they don't already have what I need in the store, so it's the easiest, fastest, and often cheapest method for me. Good luck. BTW, while you are at it, I would really suggest to just go ahead and do the whole carb kit - it's pretty inexpensive and well worth saving the time and trouble of tearing the carb back down again later. If you have problems getting parts locally, I started a thread on a guy I use for a lot of parts and there are also a few online sites I would recommend for carb parts/kits. PM me if you have problems finding them.

ryno57 said:
i messed with it more today and figured out that the float is bad old cork style and it was saturated and the little screws tat hold it on the top portion of the bowl chamber are rotted out and gone so time to order parts anyone got a good place to order from for a good price ?

You can get a factory carb kit with float from marineengine.com (They are very reasonable in price) part number is 382048

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=382048&x=9&y=15

Here is a link to an electronic parts diagram as well.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/382086/catalog.html?https://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/382086/38208600001.htm

Good luck

thank you everyone for all the good leads on getting the parts i have been doing some looking trying to find an after market float not made of cork and i have come to find there is not one so i will be ordering a carb kit as soon as i can and thanks again for all the help

Latest posts