Starter mount ear broke off, repair suggestions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintcreek

Reaction score
Guys my starter ear broke off on my 35 hp johnson and now I only have 1 bolt holding the starter, any suggestions? I don't have any experience welding cast aluminum. I do have a Miller mig with spool gun and can weld aluminum with it fair, but have never tried any cast aluminum. Should it be tig welded, or should I try some of the HTS 2000. Any one else had to make the same repair. Sorry I don't have pictures but will see if I can add them tomorrow afternoon.

Flintcreek

Some cast aluminum can be welded and will hold. I have welded cast with mig and tig and it held. All I can tell you is do a little research on the internet or bring it to a reliable welding shop it should not cost you that much.

Well I wanted to get it repaired this weekend, but decided to proceed slowly with caution because I don't want to make it worse. I am going to talk with a couple of certified welders at work tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Flintcreek