old fastwin help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
Hi, I been away for a while but I love this site.
I'm trying to fix up my 15 hp evenrude fastwin. I think its around a 1954? I got it to run for a min but it does some odd things with revving up without me touching throttle. So I pulled the carb and have a carb kit for it. I read somewhere about what to use to seal the float. Since it looks fine but dirty I wanted to clean it and reseal it. What should I seal it with?
Also, I wanted to replace the slow and fast needle valves but can't find them anywhere.... Anyone know a good source? Iboats did not seem to have them or maybe the old part numbers changed???
And of course I got an impeller but have never replaced one before so any advise there is great. I have an exploded view of everything but can not locate a manual for this old thing. I tried the link here and got the exploded view but there is no actual manula telling how to stuff. So please feel free to help with that or give me advise on the lower unit. I'd like to know everything to do to it to be sure it is water ready... change gear oil... replace impeller etc...???

Thanks a ton for any help.

What kind of weird things? It may not be a fuel delivery problem. Did you check for spark? How about compression?

I don't think you need to clean and seal the float, but I guess if you want, you can. Needle valves for the OMC motors are no longer made. You have to get them salvage somewhere. www.twincityoutboards.com may be a good bet for you. They have old salvaged parts. You will need to call. Otherwise, go to the www.aomci.org and check the classifieds. Place a "wanted" ad. But are the needle valves worn or broken?

The impeller is pretty simple to fix. You just need to pull the lower unit and take off the housing for the water pump. But be sure you install the impeller correctly.

It'd probably be best to get a repair manual. The actual manual for the motor is best, but can be a bit expensive. The other option is to get a Clymer's or Seloc manual that gives you general instructions for motors of a range of hp and years. Definitely worth the investment.

Latest posts