New Motor - Logging hours?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloch16

Reaction score
Just ordered a new motor for my boat (25HP 2-stroke yammy). Do you'll have some tips on logging the amount of time the engine is run? This is especially important for the break-in period. First thought is write the time down in a little notebook but my worries are losing it, getting it wet, blown overboard, etc. Anyone got a better idea?

Got a hand held gps? Some have features that will keep the time moving. At end of the day check the time and write it down and put in the glove department. It doesn't have to be exact right to the minute on break ins. Just rough it and you'll be fine.

I'm breaking my 115 Optimax now. I don't have a gps yet so I just right the time down and keep it in my duffle bag under the console. not really a big deal after the first hour.as long as you don't stay at the same rpm for too long. I'm still thinking about installing an hour meter. they have cheap ones that you just wrap the wire around the sparkplug, but you have to take the cowl off to see the display.

my one and only new aquired motor is a 2hp yammy. i used the stop clock function on my cellphone, and tabulated running hours in a pad, which i kept in ziplock bag in the toolbox. worked good for the 8 hours break-in period.
stopped logging after the break-in. i use the boat for fishing, and all it does is take to the spot and bring me back to shore. i figured i won't exceed 50 hours each season, so i rely on annual maintenance to keep things simple.

Latest posts