oil/gas ratio

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KICKEDBACK

Reaction score
I'm waiting for some parts to arrive to fix my rewind starter on a 25hp 88' Rude. It's been a long time but I am just about finished with it.( tore it apart and fixed it plus paint) I will post some pic's later. While I was sitting and enjoying my accomplishments my eyes strayed over to my 1945 Champion 3.6 hp one lunger (I believe it's a Challenger) when I bought my Mirro-Craft over 2 years ago I had buyers remorse on the way home but what I ended up with for $1100.00 has been well worth it. Here is a list: Humminbird wide View w/transducer, 2 oars, 36# Min-Kota transom mount trolling motor, 14' aluminum boat, a trailer and a 1957 5 1/2hp sea horse Johnson. Each of these items work great but as I was loading up he tossed in the Champion! Well back to this week...I did a quick compression check and it's good then installed a spark tester and it's good. Just need to clean out the fuel tank and I think it may fire up! I can hardly wait, which brings up my question???what is the mix on the Champion? 20:1? I'm not bragging but after having spent apx. 2 1/2 months at home from a tripple bypass and doing all kinds of things in the shop, I hope you can appreciate my chit chat! I hope all of you have a great day and thanks for listening. :D :D :D

Pappy, I thought the 1950's Evinrude/Johnson 3hp, 5.5hp and 7.5hp all ran 16:1 fuel to oil ratio due the bushings??

You are correct, most of them do but about the most I can convince people to do is 24:1. Hell of alot better than 50:1! Have started mixing Aircraft ashless dispersant with my Johnson oil and so far I like it. Figured I better edit my comment on mixing the two oils. The only engines I run that mix on are my vintage engines. The aircraft oil is a 50W made by Shell Oil and should do very well in the older bushing engines.