Poll on what else but...outboards...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMC

Reaction score
=D> Hi everyone, i was just wondering...what is your guys take on Honda outboards, from whati have seen not to many go with Honda. In fact late last summer when we just bought our Lund WC14 the sales person asked : so can i set you up with a Mercury outboard...?...i was like :roll: [-X ....no thank you,i'm going to install a Honda outboard....you should have seen this guy's face :shock: ...and then he said : a Honda ? :evil: ...yap i said,a Honda :lol: .After he realised that i wasn't going to buy a Mercury he went on saying ...but do you know you'll be paying more ?...yep i said...seconds later he said: just so you know,but Honda hasn't been making much progress in the outboards... :---) , really i said...like what ?, inventing a four stroke ?...well the sales person was lost... #-o ...because i had to tell him that Honda never made a two stroke, right from get-go they only made four strokes...end of story...not before he said...i wish i new you weren't going to buy a Mercury from me... :cry: ..so why was he pushing Mercury so hard ?...and why was he literally shoched to hear that i will put a Honda on a Lund... :D ...if he only knew that instead of one Honda...out boat actually has two Hondas...,a 2010 2hp (bought new) and a 2011 25hp also bought new...in fact hasn't even been on water yet, and the 2hp only has maybe 45 minutes of run time....what do you guys make of this ? So lets start a poll...what do you have ?...and maybe why ?.......BTW, i went with Honda because i trust their engeneering,reliability,Made in Japan... :D
Thank you,
Dan

Attachments

• April 22,2011 Lund WC14,Honda BF2 and Honda BF25 001.JPG
    April 22,2011 Lund WC14,Honda BF2 and Honda BF25 001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 882
I don't have experience directly with Honda outboards, but what I've heard is that they are reliable motors. However, they have a few shortcomings:

1. They are heavy in comparison to other manufacturers.

2. They don't seem to have the same performance when compared to the same horsepower of other manufacturers. This could be the fact that they are heavier. Although, I think they may have less torque.

3. They are expensive to repair. Not a very big dealer network.

In fact, one of my neighbours is a honda/sea do dealer. Honda for ATV's and power equipment. He stopped carrying Hondas for outboards a few years ago for the above reasons.

Having said that, it's really about your own experience.

Your salesman was disappointed that you didn't buy a Mercury Motor because he probably lost a good deal of commission because of it. Lund and Mercury motors are owned by the same company, Brusnswick. They package there items (Boats & Motors) together to make the most they can on boat deals. In most cases the dealer will lower their mark-up on a boat, knowing that they can make up for it by selling you the motor as part of the package. In this case, depeneding on how you wheel'd and deal'd with him, he lost out. :LOL2:

Like Steam Mill, most owners I have talked to say Honda's are very dependable motors but lack in certain performance areas when compared to Yamaha and Mercury. Bottom line though, is each person has their preferences and should go with what they feel comfortable with.

For more info on Brunswick, copy and past the link below into your browser.
https://brunswick.com/_media/pdfs/factsheet_09.pdf

Thank you steam_mill and G3_Guy...you see , i choose Honda over other brands (Yamaha was our second choice) because they do make dependable machinery and there is not two ways about it.We own a few Honda brand items and they have been nothing but trouble free (knock on wood).Example...every spring i hear one my neighbors try to start his lawn mower,i hear him swear,kick...etc ...he has some "other brand mower" and once he even asked me...what are you cuting your grass with ?... a Honda i said...other than oil changes (twice a year 10w30 synthetic),clean the air filter ...not even look at the spark plug,the thing fires every spring on the first pull...without swears,kicks and stuff...so naturally when it came to outboards...i choose Honda,time will tell if we choose right...but i do have to admit that my 25 Hp is heavy...took three of us (we were already affected by plum brandy... =P~ ) to place it on the back of the boat...mark the holes and then lift it again to drill the holes...wow...it was heavy :shock: ...and then place it in it's spot again.
Thank you,
Dan =D>

To each his own - I have never owned anything by Honda but woudl not think twice about purchasing a Honda outboard.

Please add your location to your signature

and you can actually make a poll by using the "create poll" button

Quick question - are you using the small motor as a kicker to troll with? Could you not just get tolling plate for the 25 hp (mosty people I know would use the 25 as a kicker and put a larger motor to race around with)

Captain Ahab, the little guy as i call the 2 Hp is for trolling/kicker duty...also i hope i won't have to but it's nice to fly a twin...as a back-up rather than single engine.Some of the lakes here in the great white north are the size of small countries.Wife's grandpa tols me that some friends of his when their single motor refused to start they paddled for 8 Hrs to get to shore...wow...enough to make us want to have a back up motor.It does add a little to the weight but at only about 15 Kg (or about 30 Lbs) it's ok.
Thank you,
P.S. Also updated my personal info...i live in Alberta,Canada...born in Romania.

Latest posts