'88 30 HP Evinrude Struggles to Start in the Water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
Picked up a Duracraft with an '88 30 HP Evinrude on the back..started on the first pull out of the water, everything was fine.

Ran it in the river a couple times, then the lake, and I had no problems starting it right up.

Now, it still starts up fine on the first pull out of the water (before I shut it right off), but if it sits in the water for a couple minutes, it won't start. I have to pull, and pull, and pull and mess with it for like 20 minutes, and sometimes I just lift it out the water and let it sit for a couple minutes before I drop it back down and it starts right up usually.

I put my boat in the river today and it cranked right up as soon as I dropped the motor down. I ran it for a couple minutes waiting for my buddy, and then I cut it off. When I went to crank it up 10 minutes later, it wouldn't start.

Also (related or not, I couldn't tell you), When it's not cranking up, there will be a decent gas slick in the water behind me. I don;t think I'm flooding it, as all I do is pump the bulb 2 times to get pressure and prime it twice on the motor. I never notice any gas leaking when I crank it out of the water.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I'm not experienced at all when it comes to outboards, but this doesn't make sense to me. Any help is appreciated.

It's probably flooding due to your float needle not sealing properly. Clean out your carb or rebuild it.

KMixson said:
Check your fuel/oil mix also. It could be just a little too much oil in it.

That may very well be it. I'll do some more research and make sure I've been using the right ratio and make sure I measure it right..

I ran it yesterday and today and it cranked right up all 3 or 4 times. I kept it tilted up and out of the water until I was ready to use it. I dropped it down, and it had no problem starting right up.

KMixson said:
Check your fuel/oil mix also. It could be just a little too much oil in it.

You can start that engine just as easily on double the oil (24:1) as the normal amount of oil. Almost any OMC owner manual stated to run 24:1 if running at extended WOT or racing and that engine had to be started before doing that. You can run plenty of extra oil and the engine should start just fine. Your ignition system is alot hotter than engines built in the 30s through the 50s and they ran as much as 16:1 ratio and started just fine.

FishinsMyLife said:
I ran it yesterday and today and it cranked right up all 3 or 4 times. I kept it tilted up and out of the water until I was ready to use it. I dropped it down, and it had no problem starting right up.

Same issue with my 48 hp Johnson. Tilted up it starts and runs good then after starting trimming it down will kill it. My carb kits are on order.

Latest posts