1986 Johnson 15 hp HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrooks325

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post! I just bought a 14' jon boat with a 15 hp johnson and i plan on converting it! But for right now I need to get it running. When I try to start her up the motor doesn't even seem to try to start. The plugs are clean, I rebuilt the carb, and now I think the coil packs might be out. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks!

I think we need some more info.....when you say converting it what do you mean...there isn't much you can do on a 15HP. Did you check for spark? That would be my first thought. Take some of your premix gas and put it in a squirt bottle and give it a couple shots in the hole in the air box and see if it will fire that would be the first step. Is your fuel tank and line functioning correctly that is another thing you need to check first. Also check your tiller handle and make sure it's functioning correctly......basically eliminate all the outside stuff first before diving into the motor itself...once you've done that check for spark if you have spark then it's either air or fuel.

Here is a link that has a lot of useful information about your motor.(Some of the reference material will refer to 9.9hp engine, don't let that bother you. The 9.9hp and 15hp are basically the same motor power head with few differences.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

Here is a parts diagram for your motor.(choose the correct model)

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1986&hp=15

I second the opinion of checking the kill switch.....which I think is on your throttle, if it has lanyard system set up and it is not hook up, then you will not get spark. The purpose of the lanyard is that if you have it secured to you and you flip out the boat then it pulls the u shaped key of the switch and shuts down the ignition.

Good luck!

Latest posts