1974 Johnson 6hp Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

OK, took the motor, had a spark, hooked to fuel line, primed....it would start and then run about 30seconds, then die, would not restart w/o priming bulb on fuel line again....when it ran, throttle response was good and crisp....

Thoughts? (I am thinking fuel pump)

ALSO:

The water sprays/blows out of the hole on the shaft, facing downwards almost like a water cooled exhaust....BUT....when I shut it down, the residual water oozing and running down the shaft is chocolate brown, like there is oil in the water....SO....the question....is the exhaust routed partially thru the water exhaust hole, or do I have a blown head gasket....or worse?

THX for any insight or experience (The manuals don't show this in great explanation)

Attachments

• J02.jpg
    J02.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 455
Could be just that the carb needs to be cleaned. I am not too familiar with the 6hp so I can't tell for sure.

As for the exhaust, I know on my 1975 Evinrude 9.9 that the cooling water was exhausted through the exhaust port. It had no pee hole. I created a port on the water jacket cover so I could see it peeing. Works like a charm. As the fuel/oil mix burns in the cylinder it may not burn all of the oil (especially at low rpm's) and the residue will be exhausted through the exhaust. There may be a small sheen of oil on the water as you are idling around in your boat. That is normal. At least you know it is lubricated. I believe that is one reason the environmentalist are pushing for four strokes so hard.

Latest posts