Electric start without the electric

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
My first boat was a pull start only, 15 hp Johnson.

My second boat is a 48 hp Johnson with electric start.

My third boat is a 20 hp Johnson, electric and pull start. In my continuing effort to be cheap, I found out that the wiring harness from the console steering to the outboard is corroded, in and out of the sheath of the cables. The steering is also hopelessly frozen so not wanting to put much money into this project, I will be removing the console tomorrow and just running the motor with the tiller. Now, can I just pull start this motor and run it without the battery?

Thanks for any help.

nomowork said:
My first boat was a pull start only, 15 hp Johnson.

My second boat is a 48 hp Johnson with electric start.

My third boat is a 20 hp Johnson, electric and pull start. In my continuing effort to be cheap, I found out that the wiring harness from the console steering to the outboard is corroded, in and out of the sheath of the cables. The steering is also hopelessly frozen so not wanting to put much money into this project, I will be removing the console tomorrow and just running the motor with the tiller. Now, can I just pull start this motor and run it without the battery?

Thanks for any help.

If the motor has charging capability, I would keep a battery connected. Whats the model number of the motor?

jasper60103 said:
If the motor has charging capability, I would keep a battery connected. Whats the model number of the motor?

The model number is 20R73A. I tried Google and the topic is clear as mud. Some say yes but you have to isolate a red lead from the stator and others say no.

I may still rig up some kind of harness to keep the electric start feature, just not from the console which will be gone today.

Thanks

nomowork said:
jasper60103 said:

The model number is 20R73A. I tried Google and the topic is clear as mud. Some say yes but you have to isolate a red lead from the stator and others say no.

I may still rig up some kind of harness to keep the electric start feature, just not from the console which will be gone today.

Thanks

That's a factory manual start motor. You should be able to run her without the battery.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=20&model=20R73A

Latest posts