What brand prop?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
Just curious what brand prop you guys are running, and what your thoughts are on quality, etc.......

I'm currently running a 1977 Johnson 15hp on my 12' semi v. I'm 99% sure it's the original prop. Once in a great while, while under full throttle, it appears that the hub will spin a bit inside the motor. Happened yesterday when I was about 10 miles down river from the launch.........talk about making you nervous. I know this type of thing isn't going to get any better, so I figure it's time to get a new prop on the boat. I'll keep the original as well as an emergency spare.

With that said, I've got a tach and will be finding the RPM's this upcoming weekend, so I can make sure I've got the right pitch. I've currently got a 9.5x10 on the boat. What I'm wanting to know more about is which exact prop brand everyone has and their thoughts on it. I'm guessing I'll need something that is between 10 and 13 pitch, and so far I've found Pirahna, Solas Amita, Quicksilver, and Michigan Match that offer a pitch that I suspect I'll need.

Your thoughts on brands and quality? Anything else I should be considering?

It does sound like a slipping o-ring hub, but I'd mark the hub and the prop and make sure something else is not causing the issue. Do your rpm testing with a full load. You would have a serious over-rev problem to need a 13 pitch. Maybe about up to 10.5-11 pitch. It is not apples to apples between different prop mfgs. BTW, propping for max top speed, may leave you disappointed with your acceleration and plane time. I was never happy with any of my small boats propped for that. Always ended up dropping back in pitch.

The only aluminum props that have failed on me (not from an impact) were ones designed with the rubber o-ring style hubs. I have had that happen on OE Johnson and Nissan props. The only Michigan match I've used, was for an older shear pin style drive. I do believe they use that o-ring style in their hub models. I have used Turning Point Hustlers with good results, but the rake acts like more pitch than the ratings indicate. TP use to have an exchange program if the pitch didn't work out and you didn't damage it. Unless you are working with a local prop shop, that can be a very positive thing. No issues with merc Black max, either. I have heard decent things about Solas Amitus, but haven't tried one yet. If I loose the hub on my 18hp nissan, I will probably try one.