OMC 15hp one day good next day crap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajg6989

Reaction score
I have an 1988 Evinrude 15 hp long shaft ran it out of fuel after use then it would not start. checked and cleaned plugs. if I let it set for a day it starts then runs rough after a while and will not start again for a few days. when it does start runs has to warm up before I can shift into gear or it stalls. I tried different fuel tanks and hoses. I have a good flow of fuel checked fuel screen at pump clean also when I removed fuel pump cover it sprayed fuel as soon as I losened it up. I tried a small amount of starter fluid once and it made no difference. an article meantioned you can use starter fluid in small amounts once as it has no lubrication qualities. I think it is a dirty or plugged carberator.

I too think you have a dirty carb. I deal with these all the time. Ethanol is gumming up carbs everywhere. I always suggest disconnecting the fuel line and running a motor until it is out of fuel. Then (and this might be the most important thing) I always suggest you start up and run once a month. Disconnect the fuel again and run dry. I have been doing this for three years and I have not had one problem.

huntinfool said:
I too think you have a dirty carb. I deal with these all the time. Ethanol is gumming up carbs everywhere. I always suggest disconnecting the fuel line and running a motor until it is out of fuel. Then (and this might be the most important thing) I always suggest you start up and run once a month. Disconnect the fuel again and run dry. I have been doing this for three years and I have not had one problem.

Sounds logical but does this tend to dry up any seals in the carbs?