No Speed!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclaimsman

Reaction score
I have a 1984 Bass Tracker Guide V-16 that is rated for max 35 hp. I believe that when the boat was new it had a tiller on it as the former owner added remote steering later on. I currently have a 1984 Merc 35 hp with CMC tilt and trim. The Boat has two batteries, one in back, one in front, a trolling motor on the bow and gas tank in the back and I weigh 215. I took the boat out for the first time yesterday and the most I could squeeze out was about 17 mph. I should also add that it has a SS 13 pitch prop. I sure thought that I would be able to get at least 25 mph out of this rig. Is there something I am missing? Also why would a 16 ft boat only be rated for a 35 hp, it seems to me that a 50 hp would be much better?

I understand tiller ratings and console ratings for max hp are different. You can see this yourself from the max hp calculations online. I had a 40 on my 16 and it ran fast. My 50 with a 13 pitch prop gets me 25mph. Is your motor maxing out the revs?

Edit: Also check where your cavitation plate is, it should be at least level with the bottom, measured when the plate is parallel to the bottom of the boat (don't measure when it is all the way trimmed in) or a little above it. Mine is slightly above it. Also check your tilt/trim. For mine, I start trimmed in, motor all the way down, then when on plane, tilt it up. I keep going till it want's to porpoise (you'll now it when you feel it) then back down a bit. I can get extra RPM's out of the engine this way without any extra throttle (not that I need it, the boat is underpropped as it is and hits the rev limiter easily).

Hope this helps.

aclaimsman said:
I am going to start with a process of elimination to rule out all possibilities, first being a SeaFoam treatment and adding a tach!

Yes, I beleive a tachometer should be one of the first purchases with any boat. Without it, you run the risk of ruining one of the most expensive parts on your boat - I speak from experience here.

Latest posts