ADDING HORSEPOWER???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
IVE READ ON HERE THAT SOME GUYS(OR GALS)HAVE DID SOMETHING TO THEYRE CARB TO GET MORE HP OUT OF IT. ANY IDEA WHAT? AND DOES IT HARM ENGINE? I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BUT WHO AM I?????

The easiest way to add horsepower to any motor is to paint it then put new graphics on and give it a wax job......it's called visual horsepower and it will give you 10 more MPH on the GPS :D .
About the only engine I now you can swap carbs out on is the Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 HP models from certain years basically putting a 15HP carb on them....there's more to it than that but that's the easy answer.

What motor you got and what are your plans with it?
Most companies made one motor,put diffrent carbs on them and rated them for diffrent hp. 25-35hp johnson evinrude 40-50hp johnson evinrude,9.9-25hp,60-70hpjohnson evinrude,40-50hp yamaha, 60-70hp yamaha just a few examples. Same motors diffrent carbs. Some have a little diffrent exhaust tuners or diffrent timing.
Easiest and cheapest way to make power is raising compresion by shaving the head. Letting it breath a little better by cutting holes in the breather box can help out a little to. Raise compresion,reeds, rejet carbs, and new exhaust tuner are the way to start building power. Then if your real power hungry break out the dremel for some port work. Before you need to think about the dremel you need to hit the books and do a couple months worth of research to make sure you don't turn a good block into a good boat anchor. :mrgreen: Mod at your own risk, hp is addicting :twisted:

shawnfish said:
1980 JOHNSON 25HP, I WAS JUST CURIOUS BUT WOULD LOVE A LIL MORE GITTY UP!!!

As stated above, a number of Johnson/Evinrudes just have a different carb on the next larger model. You would have to do more research, and then find a good 30hp carb.

The easiest one I have ever seen was the 9.9HP to 15HP Nissan/Tohatsu 2 stroke. The 15hp just had a different plastic timing cam, which had more timing advance. Other models had block off plates in intake or exhaust throats on the "degraded" engine. On the newer outboards, I don't hear so much on the "easy" hp.

Latest posts