loosing my mind !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouran01

Reaction score
have 73 chrysler 70 that starts quicker than my 06 dodge ram, stopped pumping water, replaced impeller, spit a lil water out the back then stopped, thermostat removed and same thing, a lil water at idle and then none. this is with boat backed into water and motor down. my next guesstimate is water tube is plugged? but don't wanna pull power head before goin through all other options. would pulling lower and blowing air up the tube be a terrible idea? this idea is using the logic that if it blows freely it's fine and if not i need to remove the head anyways?

Sure you can blow air through the tube. I usually just use a garden hose with a jet nozzle on the end.
Before dropping the LU run the motor for a couple minutes and find out if its over heating. Put your hand on the head. If its too hot to hold your hand on there for a couple seconds then its getting hot.
If its not getting hot after a 5 minutes or so take the boat for a real short spin. I bet it will start pumping unless you forgot to install the impeller key. Same thing has happened to me in the past and a boat ride got it peeing.

thanks, i just dropped the lower unit and ran it for a few with the hose directly on the water tube and ran it for a few and she stayed as cool as can be but still not spitting water out the back. The location of the water inlets don't really let me get the ear muffs on so I just make the mile drive to the river and do my maintenance there. I'll give it a lil test ride like ya suggest and see where we get.

If it is not pumping water be very careful with any test ride. Make sure that water is getting up to the block or you will fry that engine

Was it pumping before you changed the impeller?

Did you install the impeller in the correct direction?

Latest posts