Great article comparing new 15hp outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I found this great article that compared all of the major companies (Mercury, honda, tohatsu, suzuki and Yamaha) on their 15hp outboards
check it out --> https://www.boatingmag.com/pocket-pistols

I cruised the site looking for other reviews, they list the hondas a lot as the winners, funny. Maybe there sponsored by honda

bassfishinh123 said:
How come they didnt compare evinrudes in the artcle?
My guess is because, unless you are buying it to use as a kicker motor it would not siut the average fisherman running a 14' boat because it weights 160 lbs, and is very expensive.

I don't get it...so some don't like Honda outboards cause they are more expensive than the "domestics"...but did you look at it the same way when you traded in your Buick or Crown Vic for a Honda Accord :roll: .BTW...once upon a time a owned an Oldsmobile...what a POS that car was...then i discovered Honda =D> .
Thank you,
Dan

I'm still amazed at how much they charge for any of them, regardless of horsepower. I'm not saying any of them are overpriced. Admittedly, I know nothing about outboards, other than I can't afford one. :evil:

Seems like there has to be a fair amount of profit on each one sold though. I just don't see where all off the high dollar expense is in making a fan blade turn under water? :LOL2:

Brine said:
I'm still amazed at how much they charge for any of them, regardless of horsepower. I'm not saying any of them are overpriced. Admittedly, I know nothing about outboards, other than I can't afford one. :evil:

Seems like there has to be a fair amount of profit on each one sold though. I just don't see where all off the high dollar expense is in making a fan blade turn under water? :LOL2:

+2 Called local dealer just for giggles to see what his price was on a Yamaha. Prices ranged from $3600-4900 depending upon what options you want for a 15 horse. The highest priced one had power trim and tilt. No wonder the used motors run more used than they were new. Used 25 year old 10 hp Johnsons are running around $1100. I'll add another $900 and get a new Tohatsu before I spend that kind of money for a used motor.

spg said:
Brine said:

+2 Called local dealer just for giggles to see what his price was on a Yamaha. Prices ranged from $3600-4900 depending upon what options you want for a 15 horse. The highest priced one had power trim and tilt. No wonder the used motors run more used than they were new. Used 25 year old 10 hp Johnsons are running around $1100. I'll add another $900 and get a new Tohatsu before I spend that kind of money for a used motor.
I think that is why Tohatsu is becoming so popular. People are realizing that basically they are mercs and you can get one for a lot less. I see a lot of 1,2,3 year old mercs with very low hours selling for around 1,000- 1,300 (some still with warranty) I would sonner buy a used merc than a new one. And Yes for some reason yamaha and honds think that their motors are "amazing" so they charge $1,000 more than some other companies.

This is interesting about 115hp outboards.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/recreation/boating/1276841

basstender10.6 said:
This is interesting about 115hp outboards.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/recreation/boating/1276841

Interesting yes but over 10 years old.

Latest posts