motor suggestion please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashua fisherman

Reaction score
i have a 1965 12' sea nymph semi-v(12s, 75 pounds dry). i currently run an 84' johnson 4hp outboard and the boat will go 14mph(gps'ed) with just me and no gear. the boat is rated for a 7.5 outboard and i was looking at 6hp johnson/evinrudes until i ran across an 80's evinrude 7.5.
i am looking for motor suggestions to get the most speed out of the boat with two people, fishing gear, trolling motor, battery, ect. i would like to stick with johnson/evinrudes but am open to suggestions for other brands. $500+/- budget so it will have to be used. it will also need to be under 60 pounds since i haul the boat in the back of my truck and have to put the motor on at the boat launch.
my current engine weights 34 pounds, the 6hp weights 50, and the 7.5 weights 60. i read the top speed of the 7.5 is 15-17mph, but not sure how its rated. im sure it has more torque than my 4hp so im sure it will be faster with the same load compared to my 4hp. i also read that a 6hp will plane out a 14 footer with two people.
anyways, i got the cash so im eagerly awaiting any replies. thanks in advance. love this forum.---tom

The 7.5 or the later 8hp would be great little engines on that hull. My choice for the load you are talking about would be a 9.9hp but the weight is a little over your self imposed limit. No, the 7.5 cannot be turned into a 15hp. Sold an 8hp a couple months ago that went on a 12' aluminum and it worked well with similar loads. That engine runs extremely well.

I had an old 12' V hull that I ran my 8 HP Evinrude on. It would do alright, although it would not always plane with two people. The 7.5 would be fine, go for it. I agree, the 9.9 would be just what the Dr. ordered on that boat. I doubt a 6 HP would plane a 14' w/ two people.

just an update.
just picked up an 85' johnson 8hp outboard off e-bay. took it out of the box and went right to the river and hit 18mph with me and the wife, gas tank, no fishing gear(450# including boat). we are pretty impressed.
a couple more questions though. i havent checked it yet but would raising the motor so that the cavatation plate was even with the bottom of the boat gain me any speed on a boat and motor of this size? also the boat ran smoother on the second peg from the bottom on the trim, but had the same speed with the 3rd but took longer to plane. is this info worth anything? how much of the boat should be in the water when at full speed? thanks in advance.---tom

Latest posts