Long Shaft to Short Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky_madman

Reaction score
I got a pretty good deal on an evinrude 28hp, but it's extra long shaft and I need short shaft. How hard would it be to change and how costly would it be? Also, what all would I need to hook up the steering and other motor controls, etc? My current setup is a 20hp Chrysler tiller motor.

I suggest that you contact 'rude and inquire. You might be better off selling it and using the money to buy a short shaft, long shafts are in more demand aroudn here so that woudl be easy

OMC's are the easiest as far as long to short, and short to long, but as far as parts availability is concerned, short to long is much easier. If you post the model number, I will see what I can find for ya.

I have a long shaft engine on my boat that is made for a shortshaft. I had to purchase a 5 Inch Motor jack plate if you will.

It evened out my plate with the bottom of my boat, as it should be. I have a 15 inch transom and the motor has a 20 inch shaft. Plates can be purchased online, or you can build one yourself. BE CAREFUL of building yourself, it is vital to make sure that it can support the weight and force of the engine when in use.

I posted this in another thread, but here is my short shaft transom boat. With 15 HP Long Shaft Mercury engine running.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/tvV9eRA48hI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/tvV9eRA48hI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

bassboy1 said:
OMC's are the easiest as far as long to short, and short to long, but as far as parts availability is concerned, short to long is much easier. If you post the model number, I will see what I can find for ya.

:beer:

Latest posts