Motor sat for five years....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhockins

Reaction score
I'm fixing up a 1989 Tracker Aluminum V17 with a 50HP VRO Johnson. The boat and motor sat covered for five years in a boat yard. My first task was to replace the transom which worked out fine. Now I'm trying to get the motor to run. I put in new plugs, bought new gas, changed the lower unit oil and inspected the impeller - it looked fine, soft and pliable. I put the motor in a tank of water and tried to start it. All it would do was chug very slowly - real labored. (Kill switch was connected)

I pulled the spark plugs and turned the starter and it cranked like it was new (without compression). Gas did come out of the spark plug holes when I cranked it. I replaced the plugs and it would barely chug again.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm a dedicated "do it your self guy" and not afraid to try and fix things. (I know that just made the mechanics out there roll their eyes). I get great satisfaction out of fixing things and really want to get the engine running so I can eventually give the boat to my son in law. I need suggestions on what to look at try next.

Can anyone help?

By chug, do you mean it is barely turning over by the starter? Make sure all your connections are clean and tight for the large diameter cables, battery is good condition and fully charged.

You mentioned getting fuel, but how about spark?

I had one do the same thing the other day. It is a Nitro (made by Tracker) I took the plugs out and sprayed some WD 40 into the cylinders and turned it over making sure to spray the upper part of the cylinder. There was not any fuel yet and I did not want to score the cylinder walls. Once the plugs were in it still did it. I checked all connections as suggested above. I made sure the battery was fully charged. Eventually mine started turning over easy. Then it wouldn't then it would. I really think it may be in the starter, but I am not sure. Even though your getting gas in the cylinder I would take the plugs out and run something in there to lube the pistons. They have sat a long time. Also there may be some corrosion or rust in the cylinder walls. Remember we are talking fairly tight tolerances.

I'd pull a compression test to see what you got & go from there.For motors that sat a long time I put Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder & let soak to loosen rings up.
I can't believe that impeller was any good after 5 years.If you had it apart you should have put a new one in. [-X

My 1989 50HP Johnson has a small red lever on what I believe is the choke solenoid. Does anyone know what the lever is for and what is the correct position for it?

When you say that it's getting gas to the cylinders, do you mean the cylinders are wet or flooded? Too much gas in the cylinders without firing is a bad thing. Liquids cannot be compressed and rods start bending.

I will also be trying to start a 1974 Johnson that has been sitting out in the elements for twenty years! I couldn't believe how clean it was under the cowling and the spark plugs look brand new!

Good luck!

Bhockins said:
A small amount of gas would come out of the spark plug hole when I would crank the starter. Does that answer?

Just be careful if you're cranking the motor continuously for any length of time without it firing.

Latest posts