motor cleaner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
my brother bought a motor and it has a ton of grease on the outside and under the cowling and on the powerhead, whats a good way to clean it without damaging?

Fresh mineral spirits works very well. You will need an assortment of brushes to get into the tight places. Gun cleaning brushes, tooth brushes, and the solvent brushes sold at NAPA are what I use. Use the stiffer brushes with the first assault on the grease and the softer ones as you progress. In areas that you just can't get to I use "Spray 9" which is amazingly good on grease removal but I will spray the engine down with water first and I don't keep that stuff on for very long as it will streak the paint if not careful.

Pappy said:
Fresh mineral spirits works very well. You will need an assortment of brushes to get into the tight places. Gun cleaning brushes, tooth brushes, and the solvent brushes sold at NAPA are what I use. Use the stiffer brushes with the first assault on the grease and the softer ones as you progress. In areas that you just can't get to I use "Spray 9" which is amazingly good on grease removal but I will spray the engine down with water first and I don't keep that stuff on for very long as it will streak the paint if not careful.

are you referring to the actual motor or the outside(cowling,gear housing etc..)of the motor? i want to clean under the cowling on the actual motor,carb,etc....

Mineral spirits can be used anywhere on the engine. Excellent at grease cutting. Once the grease is off use a cleaner wax to spruce up the paint. With the Spray 9 you need to be a little more careful. Depending on how clean you want the powerhead and underhood area it can be very useful. Wet the area down with water prior to using and don't let it stay on for very long. The majority of your cleaning should be done with fresh mineral spirits.

Latest posts