What Kind of Gas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 1980 johnson gets sick when it drinks anything with ethanol.........

good question though as ive wondered whats recomended for mine? octane wise...

I've never used anything but non-oxygenated premium in all my smaller engines and have never had an issue with any of them getting gummed up or running poorly because of gas issues.

Yes, it's about 15 cents per gallon more but to me it's worth it in the long run when I don't have to spend money having the carbs cleaned out every other year.

I run regular in mine most of the time, with Stabil in every tank. But...I can go through a 17 gallon tank in an hour if I have to run hard and far. Once in a while, I'll treat it to a better grade, but not often.

i run Amoco 93 octane exclusively in my HP merc.The previous owner said that was all he ever ran in it also.I add a bit of stabil though.
DanD

I just run 87 octane in mine. I don't think the more expensive gas is any cleaner. If I'm not mistaken the higher octane fuels have more ethanol. That's around here anyway. Never had a problem.

Pappy said:
Have been running non-ethanol fuel in all of my engines (somewhere around 20+) to keep the flexible fuel components in good shape and the hot restart issues to a minimum. Run the same in my lawn equipment.

Pappy-where do you find non-ethanal fuel? I was told that all gasoline is at least 10% ethanol now. Even if it's not labeled at the pump.

87 no-ethanol. but if i have 93 left over from the dirkbike it gets run through.

ckr being in a ag state you may have laws blocking it.

I also only use non ethanol fuel for my boat and small engines... so I take whatever grade I can get it in. Sometimes I drive 20 mins out of my way just for the good stuff. I even go as far to test gas for ethanol if it's from somewhere I haven't bought from before. Check out https://pure-gas.org to see if there are any stations near you.

Well please do not :LOL2: but i figured since i run Shell premium in a Honda lawnmower it only make sense to use at least ESSO premium 91 octane but i preffer Shell premium in our Honda outboards and that is only because i use premium in everything else.Prices between regular and premium is like cents apart and i'm a firm believer that premium in just better...more deteregents,less fillers...just a higher grade.When i was in Romania almost five years ago i rented an Opel (GM of Europe :roll: car...i preffer imports :D ) and when i went to fill up i was shocked about the much more choices of gasoline and diesel they have overthere...before that about 21 years to more exact all fuels were rationed...by the commies :twisted: try a 102 gas station octane :shock: ,then regular starting just bellow 100 octane,then 3 kinds of "other" regular...then if you need diesel like most europeans seem to use you have even more choices...do you want hight performance diesel...or just farm grade...or just regular diesel...it was like beeing at Starbucks and trying to order just a plain coffee...confusing big time :? .
Dan.....

Most people here are running 50:1,not sure how high test would help.
I think your just wasting money...If your outboards were set up to run 87 octane,any higher isn't going to make it run any better or have any more power.

I've been running 87 octane, 100% gasoline in my 2-strokes for over 25 years now and never had a motor in the shop yet. For about 20 of those years I've used a gasoline additive (PRI-G) but whether that has anything to do with it, I don't know. As long as I can keep finding non-ethanol gasoline I'll keep using it.

Latest posts