Evinrude 9.5HP question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyp

Reaction score
Not sure what year this is, picked it up with a boat for 50.00. I really havent tried to start it up as of yet but I did try and hit the gear lever and it didnt move. Is this normal? Is it not normal? Was going to fill up the 3 gallon exterior tank and see if I could get it started. Was used less then 10 times but has been sitting for years and years. Just looking for some advice.

Yes this can be normal. ****First remove both spark plug and spark plug wires***

First this will make it easier to turn the propeller and second to prevent it from starting when hand is near the prop!!

You now turn the prop with one hand and then advance the shift into forward by pushing the lever down. If that does not work then you may have a problem with your shift linkage or worst your lower unit/gearbox

cajuncook1 said:
Yes this can be normal. ****First remove both spark plug and spark plug wires***

First this will make it easier to turn the propeller and second to prevent it from starting when hand is near the prop!!

You now turn the prop with one hand and then advance the shift into forward by pushing the lever down. If that does not work then you may have a problem with your shift linkage or worst your lower unit/gearbox

Thanks I got it, this is my first outboard and well, maybe I forgot to turn the tiller to shift! :bag:

The shift selection on the tiller handle does not effect the shifting of the lower unit into forward, neutral or reverse. By turning the throttle to the shift position, it allows the motor to decrease rpms and then the user can safely place the motor into forward, reverse or neutral without damaging the clutch dog, pinion, forward, or reverse gears.

Latest posts