1997 Mercury 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo36

Reaction score
I have a question, I recently replaced a water pump. I put everything back together, and it seems like the tiller and shift linkage has an issue. The tiller when I shift turns but the cables don't move all the time. It seems like there is something in the tiller that is badly worn or wearing out. One moment I can go to forward and it is all fine, then when I go to reverse, the tiller hamdle spinns to reverse but no cables move. I looked at drawings, but it looks to me it's just cables in the tiller handle, but my guess is that something is worn out. Ant thoughts or experience in this? Thanks

BTW, I even pulled the lower unit off again, and the tiller handle or throttle, will occasionally turn the cables to accelerate or shift, but more times than none, I can turn it and nothing happens.

mongo36 said:
I have a question, I recently replaced a water pump. I put everything back together, and it seems like the tiller and shift linkage has an issue. The tiller when I shift turns but the cables don't move all the time. It seems like there is something in the tiller that is badly worn or wearing out. One moment I can go to forward and it is all fine, then when I go to reverse, the tiller hamdle spinns to reverse but no cables move. I looked at drawings, but it looks to me it's just cables in the tiller handle, but my guess is that something is worn out. Ant thoughts or experience in this? Thanks

BTW, I even pulled the lower unit off again, and the tiller handle or throttle, will occasionally turn the cables to accelerate or shift, but more times than none, I can turn it and nothing happens.

I have a new to me '98 2 stroke, and have not done the impeller yet. Offhand, The only connection would be the shift rod, that typically gets disconnected before lower unit can pull apart.

FWIW, I am not overly impressed with having the shift in the throttle. Seems like a complicated and possible maintence/repair issue, for saving a little arm movement. Cables and plastic pulleys, oh my! I did find the Mercury OEM service manual online. Downloable sections, not the complete manual in one. I am not sure if you have 2 stroke or 4, so will PM you the index. On the 2 stroke, Section 7A is what you want and is 1.4Meg.

Latest posts