15HP OUTBOARD HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVTOFISH

Reaction score
I just picked up a beautiful 1998 2stroke 15hp mariner with 1hr run time on it.The motor is in unreal condition besides were the cowling goes on the motor itself.It seems like it must of fallen down and it cracked in a few spots as well as the cowling itself.My question is the motor seems to be made of fiberglass or composite.What would be the best thing to use to fill in the cracks and sand down.I was thinking that bondo makes a nice putty epoxy you can squeze out and it hardens and is easy to sand.I'm going to take some pics of it as it will be much easier for someone to give me advice on it.I will be back with pics soon thanks for any help.

1st pic is the crack on the left side of the cowl
2nd is in the middle of the 15hp decal which it shoud be a easy fix(I may just sand and repaint the cowl and put new decals.)
3rd is the most concern to me it's all the way through to the inside,but still very strong and repairable
4th is under the cowl were the latch is and it runs all the way through to the inside,but still strong and repairable

Basically i could just leave it and it would probally never break as it is still strong and is holding together well but i like to do it as a project.I think with some tlc it will look like new after i'm done i just need to know what to use as far as materials.The motor itself besides the few cracks is like showroom condition.I have fopund the mariner paint after calling 15 marinas.No one keeps mariner in stock anymore.If anyone can help me on the easiest stuff to work with that is really strong please let me know,thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 101_0263.JPG
    101_0263.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 101_0260.JPG
    101_0260.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 101_0266.JPG
    101_0266.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 470
  • 101_0267.JPG
    101_0267.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 470
stripping and repaint would be easy. graffix can be got on fleabay easily.

if it were mine i would put smaller fiberglass patches and resin on the back for peace of mind(last photo looks like that peice could break-off with time). inject resin in cracks w/ sirenge n needle. then small amount of bondo for finish.

Well i found out i can replace the whole thing.I guess it's called the lower pan.I will try to fix it with marine tex.It's on there pretty good.it's not like the piece were the cracks are is coming off it's just very annoying to see.I don't have much into it so far.I can spend a few bucks if i have to,it may be worth the time to do so.It's an electric start with like no hrs and the compression is a even 125 on each cylinder.I am going to do it as a project.I will see if i can fix it and if i can't then i will just replace the whole piece.

if you get new parts you can go crazy with the old one custom grafics and paint

:twisted: or you could put 10hp stickers on the old for restricted lakes :twisted:

What about squirting some clear epopxy in the cracks to hold them together then sand down then paint it.As far as the big gap you see i got some stuff from my local marine that is easy to work with as far as sanding and painting,it's called formula 27 all purpose filler.The guy at my marina said this stuff is like steel after it drys but easy to sand and mold.I think the key is to find a good strong epoxy that i can get in the hairline cracks which by the way are worse then i thought.

Actually it is a little better they open up slightly to squeeze some of the epoxy in between the crack.I think after that it will be like new.I think the epoxy will strenghen it up like new.I will try to find the marine epoxy at lowes.After the cracks are steady and i know they won't open then i will sand then smooth with my new dremmel.I have been wanting to use it on a project since i bought it.As far as the cowl it needs to be stripped,sanded,filled with an epopxy were it's needed and repainted.I will get some new decals for it.This is going to take some time so i will but up after pics when i'm done.Thyanks for the help.

Latest posts