Motor issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOBowhunter

Reaction score
I just got my boat finished and took it out for a couple of hours Sunday. After having a little trouble starting it ran a little rough for a few minutes. Thought maybe bad gas still in carb. It then started to run great for quite a while. So I thought it had run through and was in the fresh gas. Well towards the end it started running rough again and cutting out when you give it some throttle. It would do okay at idle or low rpm. Once you got it to above 2000 rpm it would cut out. I am no mechanic, so I am asking for some opinions from the knowledgable Tin Boat members. Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna say either trash in the float bowl or possibly even water in the float bowl. While at low idle it is not sucking up as much fuel. When WOT it sucks even more fuel. It would then suck up the water (which is heavier than the fuel) and the engine dies out and the water drops back in the float bowl.

Do you have a fuel filter and if so where in line is it?

Take the carb off and clean it out - Replace the seals while you have it off.

Sounds like a fuel line problem to me - is you bulb staying hard?

For a quick and simple test you can take the float bowl plug out and drain the fuel and see if there is water in it or trash. See if you can catch it in a glass jar. If not just watch it come out and see if you notice a difference. IF you do see water or trash, I would disconnect the fuel line and install a fuel filter. It needs to be inline but before the fuel pump. I would not pump anymore fuel into the carb. until you have a filter. That way if there is anymore water or trash you can catch it in the filter and not in the carb.

I like this type of filter for collecting even the smallest trash.
604.jpeg
607.jpeg

I have tried most of the suggestions. Installed a filter in line. Took the plug out of the float bowl and what drained out didn't seem bad. I went out and picked up some Sea Foam and added to the fuel tank and have gone out and run the motor a couple of times to get some of it run through. Probably have run for about 2 hrs total. It still cuts out at around 2000 rpm. It revs and cuts then revs and cuts over and over. Doesn't stall out. A couple of times it seemed like it was coming out of it and let me get about 3500 to 4000 rpm before starting the rough running again. Any more ideas? Do you think it needs more running time to let the Sea Foam do its thing. If I don't figure something out in the next few days I will take it to the shop. I am just hoping to resolve this myself. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I am going to say that the high idle and/or main jet is plugged up with some trash. I would take the carb off and clean it. I would bet that is going to be your problem.