Tohatsu Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hueydr

Reaction score
What a great site! I've learned more in the past few days about tinboats and outboards than I ever thought possible. My dad gave me his old Alumacraft Crappie Jon with a Tohatsu M18C2 350A OB. After looking at all the mods going on here I've got some ideas for the boat and can't wait to get started. My problem is that the motor hasn't been run in at least ten years and I want to ensure the motor is salvagable before putting any money into the boat mod. My local dealer said he can get most of the parts I need (water pump rebuild kit, filters etc) but said he can NOT get a carb kit due to the fact that they aren't made any more. I need some help trying to find a good source of parts for this motor. If and when it gets mechanically sound I will also need some new rubber parts, decals etc. I know now that Mercs under certain hp are rebadged Tohatsu's so can I use Merc parts? Any and all ideas are appreciated.

On the merc's using tohatsu powerheads, I believe it is just small hp (30 and under) 4-strokes.

I have a Nissan 18E but did hear that they stopped making parts for the 18c2. You are going to have to find someone with it on the shelf. Nissans had identicle models, except for paint and stickers. If you find it, expect them to be a bit high priced. I believe both the Nissan and Tohatsu websites have dealer listings.

Thanks guys. I knew about the Nissans but was hoping some Johnson or Merc guy might know of a stash of Tohatsu parts. I'm now looking into getting each part seperatly or even if there is a different carb that would work. Any idea's?