cranking amps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
what do you guys think the least amount of cranking amps to start a 80 johnson 25hp would be? im gonna get a seperate battery to start my motor but i want to get the smallest battery i can to minimize weight. a freind told me a 300 cranking amps riding lawnmower battery would work.

I would imagine your friend is right. For starting, a 300 amp battery should be fine for a 25hp motor. When you start going with smaller amperage batteries you are cutting off actual cranking time. If the motor starts up right away it does not draw off as many amps like it would if it takes 15-20 seconds to start. Just remember to carry your backup starting rope just in case.

KMixson said:
I would imagine your friend is right. For starting, a 300 amp battery should be fine for a 25hp motor. When you start going with smaller amperage batteries you are cutting off actual cranking time. If the motor starts up right away it does not draw off as many amps like it would if it takes 15-20 seconds to start. Just remember to carry your backup starting rope just in case.

IT HAS ROPE/MANUAL START ALSO.....

Latest posts